How do I cure my acid reflux without the use of drugs?
- Before you stop the use of medicines, please consult with a gastroenterologist
- Please view the video below which I have made specifically to help patients of reflux disease (GERD)
- Please note that it is not possible or safe for everyone to stop medicines.
How do I cure my GERD for good?
- While, a “cure” to GERD (Acid Reflux disease) is not possible, it can be managed. Dietary and lifestyle modifications are helpful in a majority of people, but still medicines may be required. Please consult a specialist for this.
- Meats consumption (risk 1.9 fold)
- Fried food (risk 1.9 fold)
- In a country wide survery the following food items were found to worsen GERD.
- Spicy foods (risk 4.1 fold)
- Aerated drinks (risk 2 fold)
- Tea/ coffee > 3 cups/day (risk 1.4 fold)
Follow the modifications below to help you with GERD.
- Avoid fried foods and non-vegetarian food
- Avoid aerated drinks
- Avoid >3 cups of coffee or tea per day
- Avoid very spicy foods
- Eat smaller portion of meals at frequent intervals
- Avoid activities that involve bending forwards especially after meals
- Avoid stressful activities
- Stop oral tobacco products
- Stop smoking
- Elevate the head end of the bed by 30 degrees or alternatively, put a wedge/slab under your bed to elevate it by 6 inches.
- Avoid sleeping immediately after meals
- Regular exercise and weight loss will reduce reflux to a great extent