Why do we have suffer from constipation? What is the main reason for constipation?
- Constipation is a complex symptom. I will try to simplify.
- Just like when a car doesn't work, there can be multiple different reasons behind it. Like problems with fuel, ignition, engine etc. Constipation can result from a variety of reasons. Some may have more than one reason co existing too.
- Constipation is very common with about 15–20% of population self reporting it in a recent survey in Chandigarh.
- It is broadly divided into primary and secondary constipation. Primary are those causes when there are no obvious causes found on investigations like blood reports, ultrasound etc.
- Secondary constipation is caused due to some reason like medicines (drug- related), due to some blockage or narrowing of intestine (mechanical), diabetes, thyroid problems etc. These have to be identified and treated early.
- Primary is further divided into various types based on some special tests. These are not routinely available. Of this dyssynergic defecation is common in upto 40% of cases of constipation. It results from muscular incoordination and can be treated by biofeedback.